We know how to make a move go well. Learn from our tips!
- Pack one lamp shade per box. We know from experience that “nesting” shades to save space can result in damage during transit.
- Plates are stronger when packed on end. Specially designed dish cells are available to provide maximum protection.
- Consolidate items that you do not want packed in one room to avoid their being packed by mistake. Make sure they are labeled DO NOT LOAD.
- Create an “Arrival Box” containing snacks, basic tools, cleaning supplies and personal care items you will need immediately upon arrival.
- Take an old phone book with you.
- Provide the movers with a floor plan of your new home and indicate on boxes where you want items to be placed when you arrive.
- Don’t overload boxes. Larger boxes are for light, “airy” items like pillows and blankets. Use smaller boxes for dense, heavy items like books and magazines.
- Most people move at the end of a month. If you must move then, book a date as far in advance as possible.
- Don’t move everything. Have a yard sale to get rid of items you don’t want to take to your new home.
- Have high value items like antiques and art objects appraised in writing to establish their value for insurance purposes.